Medicare will mail new Medicare cards between April 2018 and April 2019. Your new card will have a new Medicare Number that’s unique to you. This number will be used in place of your social security number to help protect your identity.
Things to know about your new Medicare card
• You do not need to take any action to get your new Medicare card.
• The new card will not change your Medicare coverage or benefits.
• Medicare will never ask you to give personal or private information to get your new Medicare Number and card. Learn more about the limited situations in which Medicare can contact you.
• There is no charge for your new card.
Watch Out for Scams
Scam artists may try to get your current Medicare Number and other personal information by contacting you about your new Medicare card. They may claim to be from Medicare and use these scams to get your Medicare number:
• Asking you to confirm your Medicare or Social Security Number so they can send you a new card.
• Telling you there is a charge for your new card and they need to verify your personal information.
• Threatening to cancel your health benefits if you don’t share your Medicare Number or other personal information.
If someone calls you and asks for your Medicare Number or other personal information, hang up and call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
Sample of what your new card will look like: